Wednesday, October 22, 2008

look younger

look younger
Take care your body
your body is your real income


START

“Me and Run! Are you crazy?” That’s what my colleague told me when, a year ago, I asked her if she would sign up for a 7-km run. I now find her hyper charged, after running a half marathon of 21.1km!! Her motivation — she saw some quick stamina gains – being able to run from 6 minutes, to over 30 minutes at a stretch, a month later.

I have lost 9 kg in two months, reduced two inches off my waist to fit back into my jeans, and reduced my cholesterol from 260 to a level of 180, primarily through running. My motivation – doctor’s orders, my favourite jeans, and quick results.

The health benefits of running are mostly known to be related to weight loss but let me give you a longer, yet still partial list which goes further, and you’ll be amazed at what running can do for you.

Improvement of the cardiac muscles, making the arteries a bit more flexible, reducing LDL (bad cholesterol) levels while increasing the HDL (good cholesterol) levels.

Strengthening the skeletal system by enhancing bone strength, promoting bone development via the high impact nature of running on the joints, reducing the chances of osteoarthritis, and reducing the incidence of osteoporosis.

Blood sugar management, helping those with type 2 diabetes, and also keeping those on the verge of diabetes, to manage their risks better.

Reducing the incidence of sinusitis – I had acute sinusitis when I was based in Singapore, started running, and found that with a 20-25 minute run, my sinus cavities would get drained and I would be absolutely fine.

Keeping the common cold and mild fever at bay – I used to always have a lump in my throat followed by a couple of days of fever and a cold, twice a year with a change of season. But that’s unfortunately a thing of the past, thanks to my running regimen. Unfortunately, because I lost one excuse to take a day off during my corporate career.

Running is a great way to de-stress, and even perhaps plan what you need to do during the day. It’s one of those rare “me” times during the day. Even Anil Ambani, who started running only a few years ago, finds this a great way to spend time with himself on what he needs to.

A study among 2400 twins in the UK found that regular vigorous exercise of three-four hours a week, was found to make you younger by nine years. Now who can argue with that? Who doesn’t want to feel and look younger?

Another study done in the UK suggests that people need to run, not walk, for enhanced health benefits. They have even cited the impact of running as a means to lower the risk of breast cancer.

Very often – the lethargics among us would say – “but walking is the best for our health – this is what we have been doing for centuries in India”.

While walking is good exercise, it is not great in isolation, especially for those of us with otherwise sedentary lifestyles. If that was the case, India would not be the global capital of cardiac and diabetic ailments!!

So, let’s accept that a simple thing of putting one foot in front of the other, quickening the pace, and doing it for 30-45 minutes a day, four-five days a week, is good for us.

And the good news is that all of us have run at some point in our lives, and we can again. Fauja Singh ran his first marathon in the UK at the tender age of 89, and continued to do so post-94.

I could barely run a km without getting out of breath and now, at 47, am readying myself for my 23rd full marathon. I know if I, as a non-athlete, could start so late in life, anyone can start running. So, go ahead and start.

But try not to get addicted! And while others may think you’re crazy, you’ll know that you’re not. thats it

0 comments:

healthy sole healthy Mind and then healthy body © 2008 Por *Templates para Você*